Thursday, October 16, 2008

My Favorite MC's

Don't get me wrong. I love, listen to, and respect all the regulars (2pac, Big, Nas, ...) but wanted to post my favorite songs from some of the others. They are not unknown, but these songs should start being included on greatest lists.

Aceyalone - The Guidelines - audio

In 1998, Freestyle Fellowship member Aceyalone released his concept album A Book of Human Language. "The Guidelines" sets off an album that explores simple themes song to song ("The Balance", "The Hunt", "The Energy") with a reminder why you should listen to Aceyalone. It is the only time on the album he rhymes about his skills, a rare feat in hip-hop.

Gang Starr - Step in the Arena
- video

Guru executes the perfect all-purpose battle rhyme.

Dr. Octagon - Earth People - audio

Kool Keith has been around and gets a lot of rep, but this is my favorite, his foray into weird space rap. Just like:

Deltron 3030 - 3030 - audio

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien (from Heiroglyphics) teams up with Dan the Automator and Kid Koala for an epic, futuristic, anti-corporate concept album. The lyrics for the entire album were written in less than 2 weeks, and Del has said he read technical manuals for lyrical inspiration.

De La Soul - I Am I Be - audio

Off Buhloone Mindstate, the third and final Prince-Paul produced album for the group (and my favorite), Posdnus delivers memorable verse after verse of self-assured soul searching.

Blackalicious - The Fabulous Ones - audio

Gift of Gab isn't afraid to be playful in his lyricism, and my favorite example is on this first track off their debut Nia.

Beans - Mutescreamer - video

Known from Antipop Consortium, Beans is unique in his delivery and rhymes. I saw him open for Prefuse 73, just him and a discman. It was one of the best shows I've seen.

MC Solaar - Le Fin Justifie Les Moyens - audio

Legendary French MC whose name regularly comes up in discussions of the world's greatest. This is my favorite, and yes I could only find it in this poledancing instructional video.

IAM w Cheb Khaled - Oren Marseille - audio

A group of great French MCs, the first kicks in at about 1:33 on this track, so be patient, because when he hits, he hits hard. I really wish I knew French, but regardless you can tell he is going off. I don't know much about who is who, but you can get a better look at them in Michel Gondry's video for their song "Je Danse le Mia."

I can always go on, but for now will stop here.

No comments: